Monday, September 15, 2008

My Misadventures with Dell - Chapter 438

Well, after countless efforts on my part to get things straightened out with these idiots, (I've talked with them through email in different departments, on the phone through different departments, etc.), it's all gone way past the point of ridiculous. In case you don't know (and actually care), I made an order with dell. The order didn't go through, so I called to make another order. I specifically told them to make sure the first order wouldn't be accepted so I wouldn't get charged twice. ....I was charged twice. So, I got home the next day and found two packages at my door. I was angry, but was also somewhat relieved that I'd gotten what I needed. I opened the first package. It was the wrong item. I opened the second one. It was the same wrong item. I sent off an email to two different departments in the company telling them how inept they are and that they need to fix the problem immediately. They tried to offer me credit, which, seems like forcing a sale on me, considering the fact that they charged me double. When I told them that I would only accept full refunds and not credit, I never got anything back confirming that I would get my money back.All I got was a UPS shipping return notice that said they would pick up my packages. ...But it said that UPS was expecting a THIRD item. So, now there's the item I want but didn't get, then there's the item I received (x2), and then there's the item they're expecting to have returned to them. I've emailed back and forth to no avail, and I've called as many departments as I can. Of course, I can't be talking to a representative who lives here, though. When I got a hold of someone in the country, she was very nice, but told me about Dell's dumbass policy that only government issues are to be handled in country and that ALL customer issues are handled in India. Now, I knew that a lot of things were handled over there. I've had to call tech support a million times anyway. But I need to speak with someone way above customer service by this point and I know that the executives are in this country. I'm fine with the outsourcing of tech support because every time I've had a tech-related issue, it's been solved promptly and with great courtesy shown to me by them. But when it comes to customer problems that haven't been fixed, I should be able to talk to someone who, first of all, knows what I'm saying. Second, has the power/authority/ability to fix the issue. And third, I shouldn't be ignored by the people running things. I work for a web development company, and if Dell's stupid enough to piss us all off, they're losing a ton of money. My boss just bought two new, fully-equipped Gateway laptops just for the hell of it and he said he was on the fence about whether or not to order from Dell later on. We buy new computers in this office at least once a month and they're always over a thousand dollars. Plus, we buy servers, monitors, other peripheral devices, and cpu towers for our network and hosting needs. I would estimate our hardware spendings to be upwards of $5,000 a month and that doesn't even come close to the totals after we tell all our clients about how much shit you have to deal with when buying from Dell. We have quite a bit of sway in the technical community and Dell can't afford to pull this shit without fixing the issues. It's an incredibly stupid move on their part and I hope it brings about the end of the company (there's certainly potential for it.)

Thank you for letting me rant. I'm incredibly angry and I don't see an end in sight to my problems. I just want to warn others about this so they don't go through any of it.

No comments: