Wednesday, March 24, 2010

BBC's Life On Mars was a fantastic show, but...


...What the fuck happened over here??
I know I'm a little late to be talking about it, but I only just saw the first and last episodes of our own version of it, and I am absolutely flabbergasted. I am nearly speechless. I really just can't believe how fucking ridiculous it all was. If it were condensed into a single episode, it would be akin to a storyline on The Outer Limits. It was so bad!
I won't spoil anything in the original, because it really should be watched more by U.S. Americans (late joke?), but I don't mind spoiling the remake to prove a point:
Sam wakes up in a SPACESHIP and they are LITERALLY going to MARS. What the fuck? Was this all because of an assumption that we Americans are too stupid to get the very unambiguous metaphor that 30 years ago may well have been mars to us? And all of the puns at the end just killed me. I must've been a strange sight to someone watching me while I watched it. At times, my face was all screwed up trying to understand what went through the writers' heads as they came up with this. Other times, I was giggling uncontrollably at how fucking dumb it was. Still, other times had me looking pained to see this wretched remake of something great come to a wretched ending. It probably looked like I was watching a bunny in a tutu hop around while, at random moments, he would be smacked in the face with a nerf bat.
BUT EVEN THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A BETTER ENDING!

But definitely check out the original (BBC, not ABC) version of Life On Mars. Top notch, and such. Really a great show. Ashes to Ashes is also a fantastic sequel. I love 'em both. And this isn't just some kind of bias because I watched the original first. I gave the ABC version a chance, but it was just awful. And to see that ending just... God it was so pathetic. You really should check it out. Just the ending, though. Watch the original BBC series, then watch the ending to the American version and you will laugh your fucking ass off!
Of course, there are a million other things I can bitch about with that remake, but I'm going to leave it here.

No comments: